• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

I'd hate to be a Tottenham fan

Country
Netherlands
no silverware

no relegation dogfights, nor even the fear of getting dragged into one.

no challenges to the Title, never in the top 3.

patchy performances in Europe. Never going the distance.

The closest they ever get to excitement is whether or not they will get the last qualification-spot for Europe.

Unable to keep your best players, like Harry Kane. Never getting the signature from the best newcomers in the transfer market. Good but not great.

Never got relegated, and hence never got promoted.

Never selling T-shirts to aspirational kids across the Indian Sub Continent and elsewhere.

Your 'season' is always over by mid March.

Not many players from the grassroots of your local 'Hood. Unlike us.

Losing to their local rivals, more often than not.

No fear, no glory, no heartache, no fire, no champagne...........just luke warm water.

Last edited:
I think it's harder to be a Spurs fan then a Palace fan. You can sum up Palace in one word, "Crisis", that is our season year after year. Will we get relegated, will our star player or manager stay , will the club go bust, will they every fix the toilets in the Arthur Waite?

Spurs have huge resources and the fan base, they should be competing for the title most seasons and winning trophies at least twice a decade. Instead it is all false dawns and false prophets (managers).

Most seasons they have a little run at some point and the pundits immediately claim that the team is on the verge of something big and the manager is the "next Messiah", only for their form to tail off and the manager get sacked.

Not a title since 1961 and the last time they actually came close to a serious challenge was one season in the eighties?

I'll stick with Palace, as the saying goes it's the hope that kills you, well that is one problem I don't have.

Out of all the ‘big’ London clubs I dislike them the least. I think they’ve had some players I’ve really liked over the years back in the day I loved big Martin Chivers when I was a kid, Pat Jennings was a great keeper, Glen Hoddle is one of my all time favourite footballers, he was a genius with his passing and some of the goals he scored. Obviously Peter Taylor went there, which hurt at the time, but I still liked watching him. Also Gazza is one of my all time non-palace favourites

Not so much these days I must admit, but I think when I was a kid I just loved all football and I appreciated good players on other teams

Also their new gaff is the best of ground I've ever been too

Also their new gaff is the best of ground I've ever been too

Selhurst is fight club. Almost the worst stadium in the top two tiers of English football. A smelly underground basement with cardboard on the floor.....compared to Tottenhams Palatial dwelling. Tottenham never had to deal with our bankruptsies and broken dreams. No dogsh1.t at the away dressing rooms.

why bother supporting Tottenham , when it is the same every season.

and i have only even remembered about Gary Linekar.

I can't help but feel that none of this will help us if we lose today. So we lose to a sh1t team according to this thread. Or conversely, win against a sh1t team. I've never really cared about them but they've been fun to watch over the years. They're not really rivals - more just from somewhere quite near but not near enough. Reminds me of Watford in that respect.

I can't help but feel that none of this will help us if we lose today. So we lose to a sh1t team according to this thread. Or conversely, win against a sh1t team. I've never really cared about them but they've been fun to watch over the years. They're not really rivals - more just from somewhere quite near but not near enough. Reminds me of Watford in that respect.
I doubt Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and even West Ham fans give much thought to Palace as rivals.

We are stuck with Brighton and to a much lesser extent Charlton and Millwall. Certainly for Millwall their main rivals are West Ham and the hatred is returned just as much by the Spammers.

Not sure about Charlton, always a friendly club we are probably their main rivals along with Millwall. Back in the seventies I used to go to Charlton games when Palace were away and so did a good many other Palace fans. I suspect that is why Brighton became our main rivals albeit it was a manufactured rivalry due to one season. I could never really get behind the we hate Charlton mob as they are a friendly club and try and play good football.

Charlton hate us more because they had to ground share in the eighties.

Tottenham fans are never treated to the exquisite experience of watching some fella you hate , strolling up and down the pitch. Wearing the shirt. Or some other Donkey sitting on the bench who you are praying will not be subbed on.

i cannot recall ever reading about an injury-crisis at Tottenham.

Tottenham fans are never treated to the exquisite experience of watching some fella you hate , strolling up and down the pitch. Wearing the shirt. Or some other Donkey sitting on the bench who you are praying will not be subbed on.

I assume you never heard of Darren Anderton aka Sick Note 😀

I doubt Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and even West Ham fans give much thought to Palace as rivals.

We are stuck with Brighton and to a much lesser extent Charlton and Millwall. Certainly for Millwall their main rivals are West Ham and the hatred is returned just as much by the Spammers.

Not sure about Charlton, always a friendly club we are probably their main rivals along with Millwall. Back in the seventies I used to go to Charlton games when Palace were away and so did a good many other Palace fans. I suspect that is why Brighton became our main rivals albeit it was a manufactured rivalry due to one season. I could never really get behind the we hate Charlton mob as they are a friendly club and try and play good football.

Charlton hate us more because they had to ground share in the eighties.
I can assure you I was attacked by Charlton fans several times. They didn't win but I still don't like them.

no silverware

no relegation dogfights, nor even the fear of getting dragged into one.

no challenges to the Title, never in the top 3.

patchy performances in Europe. Never going the distance.

The closest they ever get to excitement is whether or not they will get the last qualification-spot for Europe.

Unable to keep your best players, like Harry Kane. Never getting the signature from the best newcomers in the transfer market. Good but not great.

Never got relegated, and hence never got promoted.

Never selling T-shirts to aspirational kids across the Indian Sub Continent and elsewhere.

Your 'season' is always over by mid March.

Not many players from the grassroots of your local 'Hood. Unlike us.

Losing to their local rivals, more often than not.

No fear, no glory, no heartache, no fire, no champagne...........just luke warm water.
I would respect spurs fans even more then for sticking with their team. I can't stand manure, Liverpool, Chelsea and to a degree arsenal fans.

I can assure you I was attacked by Charlton fans several times. They didn't win but I still don't like them.

Thats no laughing matter. Very serious. Did they attack you ISIS style ? by slamming a vehicle into you ?

I’m sure they do. It’s just we finish in 14th and they finish in 5th.

And Spurs are run similarly to us, just on a bigger scale. They have the same frustrations we do.

Not sure about them not hating some.players. Have a look at one of their fan sites - at any time their opinion of a few of theirs makes it look as though we were ready to put on a parade for Benteke.
I've known a few Spuds fans who were surprisingly entitled/up themselves for a club who haven't won the league for over 60 years.

Back