• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Everton vs. Crystal Palace match thread

Daddyorc

Country
Ukraine
Everton: Pickford (GK), Young, Tarkowski, Branthwaite, Mykolenko, Mangala, A. Doucouré, Lindstrøm, Ndiaye, McNeil, Calvert-Lewin.

Subs: Virginia (GK), Keane, Harrison, Beto, O’Brien, Gana, Garner, Iroegbunam, Armstrong.

Palace: Henderson (GK), Muñoz, Lacroix, Guéhi, Lerma, Mitchell, Wharton, Kamada, Eze, Nketiah, Mateta.

Subs: Turner (GK), Ward, Chalobah, Schlupp, Clyne, Hughes, Sarr, Umeh, Agbinone.

I have a feeling that we are going to get turned over today. Kamada will get out muscled and bypassed in this game. Nketiah won't be effective out on the right, why Sarr is not starting is beyond me.
A 4-3-3 formation is a new one unless Lerma is playing at the back. If so, our midfield is definitely going to get overrun.
We could easily be 3 down by half time.

Obviously OG is a successful football coach and I'm just one of millions of oafs who like to watch the game.....and I'm really REALLY hoping to see the truth of that illustrated this afternoon. But.......

Just looking at the line ups, you can see the physicality in the Everton side. Then you look at us, probably better players but I don't see where our engine or pace are. We can't expect Everton to just give us time and let us show boat.
Kamada has a good head on his shoulders but Everton will be looking to knock that off. We need some drive in the midfield. I also agree with others about dropping sulky Mateta and putting Nketiah in there and Sarr out wide. Although, I think we'll play narrow today to force Everton outside and make them have to cross from wide areas. So if Nketiah and Mateta play close to each other, maybe a number 9 and a false 9/ shadow striker, I could see the formation working.
There was never going to be any point in launching the ball into their box from wide and expecting much change from their defence anyway. Which looks like what Glasner has thought of with this team selection. We need to play short and quick but we've only shown short glimpses of being anywhere near able to do that this season, so far. Much more movement and much more pressing required. If Munoz could recover some form and fitness it could help.

For the first time, I find myself questioning OG. This line up can only be based on his previous experiences of Kamada because I just don’t get it and he made Wharton look bang average against Utd.

Really hope I eat my words.

Back