• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

England v Sri Lanka cricket thread

My Sri Lankan shopkeeper is giving cricket a big swerve at the moment. Normally it's on a big TV behind the counter.
He says Sri Lanka are awful at the moment. But this should boost England(and Wales) confidence. a win is a win, and they all count 😀

Enjoyed Joe dropping that catch, and the rubbish shot, otherwise remorselessly brilliant.

Dedicated his century to Graham Thorpe who helped him make his mark.

Shame it's a bit one-sided.

It only needs a last wicket partnership of, say, 350 for Sri Lanka to make it a contest.

😎

Enjoyed Joe dropping that catch, and the rubbish shot, otherwise remorselessly brilliant.

Dedicated his century to Graham Thorpe who helped him make his mark.

Shame it's a bit one-sided.

It only needs a last wicket partnership of, say, 350 for Sri Lanka to make it a contest.

😎
Yes, England could do with more of a test. These one sided games are not the test needed to take on the Aussie "ultimate sportsmen" (cheats).
The whole Thorpe thing is really sad. My age too - puts some things into perspective.

Unusual dismissals this morning. Duckett out to a "relay" catch and Pope caught by the only offside fielder within about 50 yards.

I thought the point of playing Olly Stone was that he's fast and we need pace bowlers for the upcoming Australia.

Well, I have to be honest he doesn't look that quick to me, he's around 84-87 and that's not going to cut it....especially as he's injured so often. If you wanted a bowler for 85 mile an hour bowling then Sam Cook has a better record than Stone.

Is it the case that English county cricket only has one bowler capable of bowling consistently over 90+.....seems to be the case and that's worrying because you're not beating Australia with 84-87 mile an hour bowling.

I thought the point of playing Olly Stone was that he's fast and we need pace bowlers for the upcoming Australia.

Well, I have to be honest he doesn't look that quick to me, he's around 84-87 and that's not going to cut it....especially as he's injured so often. If you wanted a bowler for 85 mile an hour bowling then Sam Cook has a better record than Stone.

Is it the case that English county cricket only has one bowler capable of bowling consistently over 90+.....seems to be the case and that's worrying because you're not beating Australia with 84-87 mile an hour bowling.
Jofra Archer to come back in?

Jofra Archer to come back in?
His injury levels are similar to Stone. If he proves that he can bowl at over 88 for 15 overs a day then sure....but I have my doubts.

My opinion is that unless you are able to bowl 88+ then you shouldn't be a fast bowler going to Australia. Fast, bouncy pitches require bowlers who can exploit them.

All rounders are of course a different animal, but if we are serious about winning over there we need three fast men, not people like Stone hitting 85 being called fast.......If you are going for an 85 man then play Robinson, Porter, Cook, Fisher or any other contenders at that pace.

Turner is a bowler who is mentioned a lot, like this Hull youngster but I haven't seen any of him yet.

Should they reduce tests to four days and then have an extra day if a certain amount is rained off? I'm struggling to remember any five day matches not caused by the weather.
Not with my good wishes, I regard cricket as self harming itself enough for a quick buck as it is.....there needs to be protection for Test Cricket.

Not with my good wishes, I regard cricket as self harming itself enough for a quick buck as it is.....there needs to be protection for Test Cricket.
This was a relatively interesting article I read recently. Just thought you might like it.

Batting not quite working right now but probably still enough runs to pressure Sri Lanka.
They've bowled well but the way some of ours got out it almost looked as though they want our bowlers make use of the conditions as well. Atkinson and Woakes should be hard to deal with anyway.

Back