• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Do you even bother to Vote ?

And it's so much better than being condescended to by those with superior attitudes.
Easily avoided by just doing what most do. Accept that despite its flaws voting is the only direct way we can influence the direction we take.

You might think that believing in behaving responsibly and exercising a democratic right is condescending. I don’t. I believe it’s a privilege and a duty.

Easily avoided by just doing what most do. Accept that despite its flaws voting is the only direct way we can influence the direction we take.

You might think that believing in behaving responsibly and exercising a democratic right is condescending. I don’t. I believe it’s a privilege and a duty.

No, I don't. I think it's condescending to expect others to abide by your arbitrary strictures. It's everyone's democratic right not to vote should that be their choice.

No, I don't. I think it's condescending to expect others to abide by your arbitrary strictures. It's everyone's democratic right not to vote should that be their choice.
I don’t expect anything! If I did I would be constantly disappointed.

It’s entirely up to everyone to decide, unless and until it becomes compulsory.

That though doesn’t mean I don’t find it irresponsible, or that I should not express my own opinions on the attitudes.

Should it become compulsory?

If there was a practical way to ensure that, then I would vote for it. Unfortunately I don’t think there is. Making sure everyone is motivated to vote seems more likely to increase participation and the best way to achieve that is PR.

I don’t expect anything! If I did I would be constantly disappointed.

It’s entirely up to everyone to decide, unless and until it becomes compulsory.

That though doesn’t mean I don’t find it irresponsible, or that I should not express my own opinions on the attitudes.

Should it become compulsory?

If there was a practical way to ensure that, then I would vote for it. Unfortunately I don’t think there is. Making sure everyone is motivated to vote seems more likely to increase participation and the best way to achieve that is PR.
And would it be compulsory to vote on the decision to make voting compulsory?

Accept that despite its flaws voting is the only direct way we can influence the direction we take.

have you ever read much history ? A pinch of Salt can upend a Tyranny.

Last edited:
have you ever read much history ? A pinch of Salt can upend a Tyranny.

Not in a modern developed western economy like ours.

It’s such an obvious answer that I feel sure you already know it.
So yes, then.
The problem with this plan is that if you make millions of people vote when they have no interest in politics you're going to see an instant rise in the populism which exercises you.

None Of The Above should be compulsory on every ballot paper. They wont do it because the politicians are scared the amount of people who will put an X in that box which means they will have to do something about it.

At the moment they can ignore "spoiled" ballot papers as the "confused public" who didn't understand what they were doing. However as an election officials for decades I can tell you most people who spoil their paper know exactly what they are doing as I have seen and read their comments.

None Of The Above should be compulsory on every ballot paper. They wont do it because the politicians are scared the amount of people who will put an X in that box which means they will have to do something about it.

Look back to Ancient Greece and the Roman Republic. Voting mattered and was a privilege of select citizens only. Usually only men. Usually only those who were contributing something to society....either taxes or military service.

Now just reflect if that was the case today.

So yes, then.
The problem with this plan is that if you make millions of people vote when they have no interest in politics you're going to see an instant rise in the populism which exercises you.
On the contrary. I think it would increase interest in politics.

Populism is something to be defeated by argument. Not by restraining voting.

But you are constantly berating trump voters and reform voters for diligently voting. If you didn’t have double standards you would have none !
Untrue.

I am glad they are voting, especially those voting Reform who need their voices heard. They also need the PR system I want to see.

On the contrary. I think it would increase interest in politics.

Populism is something to be defeated by argument. Not by restraining voting.
We elect politicians to make decisions for us so if they decide to go for populist policies then vote for someone else.

We elect politicians to make decisions for us so if they decide to go for populist policies then vote for someone else.
I do.

The argument is about persuading others to do the same.

That argument becomes easier if the populists are seen as being corrupt chancers who only offer popular ideas because of their desire for power and not because of the needs of the country. It becomes even easier if others who honestly speak about what is needed are also seen as honest themselves. That though has not always been the case.

I do.

The argument is about persuading others to do the same.

That argument becomes easier if the populists are seen as being corrupt chancers who only offer popular ideas because of their desire for power and not because of the needs of the country. It becomes even easier if others who honestly speak about what is needed are also seen as honest themselves. That though has not always been the case.
It would also become easier if you can convince candidates not to tell voters what they think they want to hear to get them elected. Might happen one day.

Oh dear, I am sorry to learn your story and it helps to understand your opinion.

But, it doesn't change my view that we have the right to vote for democracy in the hope that it works to our benefit. I prefer it to the alternative of a dictatorship headed by a despot.
You have put your finger on the overridingly important point. Yes, millions don't vote, but governments still know that if they put enough noses out of joint, they will be sacked. And our democracy will still be intact. That's why, although I have voted in every election since the 60s, I don't accept that those who don't vote are betraying our ancestors who fought for what we have. What they fought for will still be there whether millions vote ot not.

If the last twenty years hasn't taught us that democracy in the west is part myth I don't know what else would be needed to demonstrate it.

The whole system is designed to ensure that nothing really changes and that anyone offering anything significantly different from what the ruling class wants never gets a chance to rule.

Look back to Ancient Greece and the Roman Republic. Voting mattered and was a privilege of select citizens only. Usually only men. Usually only those who were contributing something to society....either taxes or military service.

Now just reflect if that was the case today.
You would have 50% of the population disenfranchised and rightly very angry.

The home makers contribute. Those who cannot contribute because of disability, sickness or age have every right to be heard. Restricting the rights of the feckless or criminal is another matter.

Back