• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Do you even bother to Vote ?

Country
Netherlands
I used to. But not anymore. Much of the reasons are contained in the video clip below. Its a metaphor for everything wrong with the West.

However, just cos somebody doesn't vote, does not exclude them from being political. We have many other ways of being political. Both Legal and illegal. The latter i would strongly discourage.

The history books are awash with successful political changes brought about from ways apart from voting.
- Boycotts
- Strikes, downing tools, and a go-slow.
- campaigning & opinion forming

- marching in the street

- funding good causes
- singing a protest song
- The time women, in ancient Greece, went on bedroom & kitchen strike.

- putting a bumper sticker on your car

- and many others.

The Arab Spring changed the lives of up to 300 million individuals. And it all started with a humble street fruit vendor setting himself alight ( not that i would ever encourage any Eagle to emulate such drama ).

Democracy : An Oxford Professor of Politics with a canon of previous publications, has the same number of votes ( one ) as a gibbering dribbling idiot mumbling in a bed in an institution somewhere.
A business magnate who has paid billions of quid tax has the same vote as a lifelong sponger devoted to never contributing a penny to the State ever.

Many, in the past, have fought and died for the vote. And yet today, huge numbers don't even bother. To vote was compulsory in the Soviet Union.....just pick your favourite member of the Communist party Comrade. Now, Be a good lad and get back to work.

We have often seen Big Brother type tv programmes getting more national fervour than anything in Politics. And even the Premier League is now much bigger business than the Tories versus Labour versus Reform etc.

To vote is to exert your political will and influence. Do you think voting is the main political influence of rich people....Bill Gates, George Soros, or Bono ? Or even of some poor people like your local religious leaders or student activists ?

Tons of unpopular stuff happens even when there is zero democratic support : Ulez, the Poll Tax, the military Draft, pay rises for Transport workers.

To vote. Exercising your privilege and right to be political ? or an idiot sheep being corralled into a controlled discussion ? You decide

Last edited:
I've only ever voted twice in my life. One to try stop the 8th being repealed in Ireland and the second was for reform in the last General election in UK.

Most of time I don't bother. But those two I really felt the need too.

I am 76 and have never voted in my life and never will, I sussed out our so-called politicians many years ago, they are corrupt, self-serving, and are liars. I remember many, many years ago they had a very important vote on capital punishment. A fair few of the then MPs bottled it and abstained to get out of voting. Thats what I have done ever since, if they can do it and not face any consequences why can't the British public get off the hook the same way. With their noses firmly in the trough they are all looking after number one. And, with all that is going on at the moment, it proves a point, after you with the trough piggies.

All you can do really is vote for the party that will do the least governing. That's usually the Tories, but in recent years that's changed.

I vote because millions died in wars to defend our democratic rights. I strongly feel that I owe it to those souls to cast a vote for the representative of either our local council or national party who I think will work hard to do what's best for me and my family.

Of course I vote and always have done since I came of age. OK, so there are some politicians who are either corrupt or incompetent as there are folk in any organisation.

It is disturbing that large numbers choose not to vote because the result of low turnout is that we end up with weak, inexperienced government like the shower we have now headed up by a leftie lawyer with the charisma of a wet sponge.

I vote because millions died in wars to defend our democratic rights. I strongly feel that I owe it to those souls to cast a vote for the representative of either our local council or national party who I think will work hard to do what's best for me and my family.

Of course I vote and always have done since I came of age. OK, so there are some politicians who are either corrupt or incompetent as there are folk in any organisation.

It is disturbing that large numbers choose not to vote because the result of low turnout is that we end up with weak, inexperienced government like the shower we have now headed up by a leftie lawyer with the charisma of a wet sponge.
Yeah, I get your point, but, I served in the Army. More importantly, my old man served in the Royal Navy in WW2 he got badly wounded off of Crete. He told me before he popped his clogs that he shouldn't have bothered a land fit for heroes, ha, ha, ha. He was struggling to live on sky-high private rented accommodation. His local Council didn't want to know. And, when I was homeless in 2016 at the age of 69 the local Council to me, told me to go to Shelter, we were both really well treated weren't we. My Mother was also in the military in WW2, so we did our bit so to speak. Now you know why I don't vote for any of the Muppets.

I dunno, the tories have done close to fvck all since Covid.
We are over-governed and over-taxed. We should abolish many layers of government, the Scottish parliament, the Welsh parliament, all the metro-mayors, all police commissioners, most quangos.

Yeah, I get your point, but, I served in the Army. More importantly, my old man served in the Royal Navy in WW2 he got badly wounded off of Crete. He told me before he popped his clogs that he shouldn't have bothered a land fit for heroes, ha, ha, ha. He was struggling to live on sky-high private rented accommodation. His local Council didn't want to know. And, when I was homeless in 2016 at the age of 69 the local Council to me, told me to go to Shelter, we were both really well treated weren't we. My Mother was also in the military in WW2, so we did our bit so to speak. Now you know why I don't vote for any of the Muppets.
Oh dear, I am sorry to learn your story and it helps to understand your opinion.

But, it doesn't change my view that we have the right to vote for democracy in the hope that it works to our benefit. I prefer it to the alternative of a dictatorship headed by a despot.

you can have a 99% voter turnout and still get a weak leader and/or a dodgy corrupt parliament. The converse is also true.
Italian governments seem to collapse every 5 minutes, be a rainbow coalition of the whole spectrum.....mostly all cancelling each other out. Talking a lot, and achieving very little. Too much democracy - and not enough leadership.

The US President is a titular head of State. Only slightly more power than the UK monarch. Shuffle about, eat cake, smile for the photo and feckoff back to the golf course. Biden is the proof - any buffoon can do that job. But Reagan was also a clown who mostly had no clue at all. To be the US president ? it would be more difficult and responsible to manage a Croydon coffee shop.

Until this last election, I voted in almost any and everything. And I did actually go to the polling station in the last GE but spoilt by paper by drawing three lines.

The last 5 years or so have utterly convinced me that we have a rigged system. Literally a Uniparty who will crack down on any sign of genuine rebellion whilst 'celebrating' their pet client groups. Who despise the White Working Class unless they need them to fight their wars.

Cameron to May to Johnson, then no real difference. Truss...mhm. She tried to at least show a modicum of Conservative thinking and was soon thrown out for her troubles (what happened to her will be a fascinating piece of political history to look back on in 10 years time - No matter what people thought of her, the Bank of England are not there to have PM's thrown out of number 10).

Then Sunak. LOL. And now Starmer.

Two cheeks -Same Arse.

We live in truly scary times. Maybe it has been like this for the entirety of my adult life but the piss-poor quality of what our 'democracy' has now produced as a ruling elite has now convinced me that it is no longer the solution.

There is now only one party to vote for.

If we want a change for the usual two party system, we have to vote for it.

Problem is we’ll get 4-5 more years of Keir Stalin.
Not necessarily. There has to be more collusion and tactical voting to oust them next time.

I used to. But not anymore. Much of the reasons are contained in the video clip below. Its a metaphor for everything wrong with the West.

However, just cos somebody doesn't vote, does not exclude them from being political. We have many other ways of being political. Both Legal and illegal. The latter i would strongly discourage.

The history books are awash with successful political changes brought about from ways apart from voting.
- Boycotts
- Strikes, downing tools, and a go-slow.
- campaigning & opinion forming

- marching in the street

- funding good causes
- singing a protest song
- The time women, in ancient Greece, went on bedroom & kitchen strike.

- putting a bumper sticker on your car

- and many others.

The Arab Spring changed the lives of up to 300 million individuals. And it all started with a humble street fruit vendor setting himself alight ( not that i would ever encourage any Eagle to emulate such drama ).

Democracy : An Oxford Professor of Politics with a canon of previous publications, has the same number of votes ( one ) as a gibbering dribbling idiot mumbling in a bed in an institution somewhere.
A business magnate who has paid billions of quid tax has the same vote as a lifelong sponger devoted to never contributing a penny to the State ever.

Many, in the past, have fought and died for the vote. And yet today, huge numbers don't even bother. To vote was compulsory in the Soviet Union.....just pick your favourite member of the Communist party Comrade. Now, Be a good lad and get back to work.

We have often seen Big Brother type tv programmes getting more national fervour than anything in Politics. And even the Premier League is now much bigger business than the Tories versus Labour versus Reform etc.

To vote is to exert your political will and influence. Do you think voting is the main political influence of rich people....Bill Gates, George Soros, or Bono ? Or even of some poor people like your local religious leaders or student activists ?

Tons of unpopular stuff happens even when there is zero democratic support : Ulez, the Poll Tax, the military Draft, pay rises for Transport workers.

To vote. Exercising your privilege and right to be political ? or an idiot sheep being corralled into a controlled discussion ? You decide

Zero support?

I support both.

Everyone should vote!

Those who don’t can expect their moaning to be ignored.

My father also served in the navy in WW2 and was on the Prince of Wales when it was sunk by the Japanese. He went in the water and survived but many of his shipmates didn’t. When he eventually got home he too lived in a flat above a shop, together with my mother, brother, sister and me. The council though did provide a council house where I lived until I left home to marry. He voted diligently. So do I.

My father also served in the navy in WW2 and was on the Prince of Wales when it was sunk by the Japanese. He went in the water and survived but many of his shipmates didn’t. When he eventually got home he too lived in a flat above a shop, together with my mother, brother, sister and me. The council though did provide a council house where I lived until I left home to marry. He voted diligently. So do I.
Good on yer Wisbech.

Back