• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Academy stars?

cjh

Country
Canada
The U21s have been posting some good results. Which of our future stars do people think will be first to graduate to the first team squad?

The U21s have been posting some good results. Which of our future stars do people think will be first to graduate to the first team squad?
Sadly I don't necessarily think it's a case of "will". Since Tyrick Mitchell graduated from the academy no youngster has made the grade. A few have dabbled their feet in the water .. Rak Sakyi, Aderamola, Ozoh ... but none have cemented a place in the senior side. Agbinone and Umeh are the latest to get time on the bench for 1st team games so I guess are currently the most likely, but is far from certain. As with Tyrick and Wan Bissaka it was injuries to senior players that gave them the break.

I have long lamented the club's apparent policy of deliberately ignoring our youngsters.

Surely Rak-Sakyi would be an improvement on Kamada for instance.

I'd welcome a more adventurous Ollie.

I watched a chunk of their game against Stevenage in the papa johns Bristol street motors cup thingy and thought it was all a bit poor, but watching their game v Gillingham last week we did look lively with some good pace going forward. It was only Gillinghams fringe players, but it was a decent game.

But having said that, beating Gillingham reserves is a bit different to premier league opposition, so we might see a couple on the bench every now and then as we do, but I doubt it’ll be anymore than that

I have long lamented the club's apparent policy of deliberately ignoring our youngsters.

The young Academy players closest to the first team standard are all out on loan e.,g Raj-Sakyi, Ozoh, Goodman and Whitworth. All our games have been pretty close so, if this continues, I can't see untried youngsters getting much playing time ahead of Schlupp and co. Of course, if we are suffering a hammering at the weekend Glasner might feel he has nothing to lose

Sadly I don't necessarily think it's a case of "will". Since Tyrick Mitchell graduated from the academy no youngster has made the grade. A few have dabbled their feet in the water .. Rak Sakyi, Aderamola, Ozoh ... but none have cemented a place in the senior side. Agbinone and Umeh are the latest to get time on the bench for 1st team games so I guess are currently the most likely, but is far from certain. As with Tyrick and Wan Bissaka it was injuries to senior players that gave them the break.
Mitchell was signed from Brentford

The same JRS with no goals or assists yet and has been subbed off in every game around the 60/70 min mark?

Its not deliberately ignoring, its simply the fact that they are not ready.

Admin (or anyone else) Is there anyways to opt out of a "watch this topic" if I dont want constant emails and set this as a default?

The last time we turned out a glut of very good players from our academy was in the so called 'team of the 80s' (1980s for you youngsters out there).
What we'd give for a Kenny Sansom or Vince Hilaire now.
Other than that we've turned out the sporadic gem, the most notable in recent years being Moses, Zaha and AWB.

We're due another one soon but I don't follow the youth teams enough to know whom that might be.

It's comcerning that JRS is only on the bench tonight and has been substituted in the games he has started.
He should be demonstrating his qualities with a decent Championship team hoping to challenge for promotion.

Admin (or anyone else) Is there anyways to opt out of a "watch this topic" if I dont want constant emails and set this as a default?
Check the watch tab top right before the first comment - you can click that to stop emails on the thread.

JRS has from the sound of it been doing ok with Sheffield Utd fans talking him up according to an article the other day. It sounds like he's just a bit rough around the edges still, but given his injuries last season that's perhaps not a surprise. I'm still not convinced he has that edge that you need to succeed in the PL, but he is a talent. Ozoh was making the biggest impression, so of course he got injured. I still think he can end up being a first-team player for us.

Jessie Derry continues to bang them in but the idea that he'd get in front of Mateta and Nketiah seems unlikely (unless his Dad nobbles them). However, given how highly rated he is and the fact he hasn't yet signed a professional deal there may be a bit more pressure to push him into the first-team fold, even if it's just a place on the bench for a couple of games. I think it's also worth remembering that some of these youngsters the club paid reasonable money for such as Adler Nascimento who the club paid a few hundred thousand to Peterborough for.

If Mitchell were to get injured it'd be interesting to see if any of the youngsters were ready to fill his boots, but elsewhere we have a lot of cover so I don't see any surprise breakthroughs, especially not until our form improves.

JRS has from the sound of it been doing ok with Sheffield Utd fans talking him up according to an article the other day. It sounds like he's just a bit rough around the edges still, but given his injuries last season that's perhaps not a surprise. I'm still not convinced he has that edge that you need to succeed in the PL, but he is a talent. Ozoh was making the biggest impression, so of course he got injured. I still think he can end up being a first-team player for us.

Jessie Derry continues to bang them in but the idea that he'd get in front of Mateta and Nketiah seems unlikely (unless his Dad nobbles them). However, given how highly rated he is and the fact he hasn't yet signed a professional deal there may be a bit more pressure to push him into the first-team fold, even if it's just a place on the bench for a couple of games. I think it's also worth remembering that some of these youngsters the club paid reasonable money for such as Adler Nascimento who the club paid a few hundred thousand to Peterborough for.

If Mitchell were to get injured it'd be interesting to see if any of the youngsters were ready to fill his boots, but elsewhere we have a lot of cover so I don't see any surprise breakthroughs, especially not until our form improves.

Its a real shame about Ozoh, looked like he was doing great.

Maybe I'm being unfair on JRS, but after last season, I half expected him to rip up the championship this year. Maybe he still will.

When TM was injured before and Tayo stepped in, i think in the cup, I thought he did really well. Especially as he must have been 17/18. Has obviously not kicked on.

Good points. OG also seems to have a different attitude to cup games too so the younger players may not get a chance to play then either.
At least we haven't yet got to the stage of thinking he might as well put a couple of the younger players in because "they couldn't be any worse". Maybe in one case but the jury is still out on that one.

Good points. OG also seems to have a different attitude to cup games too so the younger players may not get a chance to play then either.
At least we haven't yet got to the stage of thinking he might as well put a couple of the younger players in because "they couldn't be any worse". Maybe in one case but the jury is still out on that one.
Only a matter of time me thinks

Back