• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Tomás Araújo

Country
England
Portuguese player. We have bid for him, apparently.

The new Jose Fonte?!

I question whether this would be a signing to come straight into the first-team given his relative lack of experience. Seems risky when we've already signed another project in Riad.

Click bait also linking us to Koki Machida. Left footed CB from Japan playing in French 2nd tier I think.

Forest also allegedly after him.

The only reason we may want him is to give Kamada company and to work on some Yen returns.

I didn't start a new subject as I think this is agent feed that will come to nowt, but just made a foot note of it for the sake of completeness.

Allegedly Benfica want around £85M.

Obviously ludicrous for a player who cant get into the 1st team and has no senior caps, but it could be seen as a nice way of telling any suitors to back off.

Hope it’s just click bait on this one. I follow the Portuguese league and I cannot remember a single player that has ever left Benfica reach the potential they’re supposed to have ( Nunez, Gonçalo Ramos, Enzo Fernandez …) they all turn out flops.

Hope it’s just click bait on this one. I follow the Portuguese league and I cannot remember a single player that has ever left Benfica reach the potential they’re supposed to have ( Nunez, Gonçalo Ramos, Enzo Fernandez …) they all turn out flops.

Jan Oblak, Ruben Dias, Bernardo Silva, Angel Di Maria... some of them are alright 🙂

Yes but not recently. I’d say since Rui Costa has become president the players peak at Benfica and are sold for record fees.

We obviously need at least one new CB given the departure of Anderson to Fulham. This guy sounds very good but very expensive? Dougie is great at unearthing great players at cheap prices. I don't think Araujo fits this pattern?

Yes but not recently. I’d say since Rui Costa has become president the players peak at Benfica and are sold for record fees.

I think they cottoned onto being a top tier 'feeder club' for the big fish of Europe and have looked to exploit that to the extreme. I won't criticise them for it.

We however are not a big fish in this country let alone Europe, so if they wanted anything north of say £15-20mil for a player, that would defy any understanding of my reality as a Palace fan were we to pay it! You never know though 😵

I think they cottoned onto being a top tier 'feeder club' for the big fish of Europe and have looked to exploit that to the extreme. I won't criticise them for it.

We however are not a big fish in this country let alone Europe, so if they wanted anything north of say £15-20mil for a player, that would defy any understanding of my reality as a Palace fan were we to pay it! You never know though 😵
With so few buyers with the financial muscle to meet their prices, they are taking an awful risk. There must also be plenty of very good players who go to waste.

With so few buyers with the financial muscle to meet their prices, they are taking an awful risk. There must also be plenty of very good players who go to waste.

I certainly think they are taking a risk and that there are plenty who go to waste!

The balance there might be that they were never going to keep hold of their best talent (they should have our empathy there) and as an acceptance of others poaching, thought they might as well maximise their end of that status quo with a financial reward (again, with our empathy).

So that might mean hugely inflated prices for their players, which is something I can accept, I'm just not sure why we'd then be thrown into the rumour mill???

Obviously ludicrous for a player who cant get into the 1st team and has no senior caps, but it could be seen as a nice way of telling any suitors to back off.
Yes, I am not sure what they are thinking?! Transfermarket has him currently valued at €7M.

I certainly think they are taking a risk and that there are plenty who go to waste!

The balance there might be that they were never going to keep hold of their best talent (they should have our empathy there) and as an acceptance of others poaching, thought they might as well maximise their end of that status quo with a financial reward (again, with our empathy).

So that might mean hugely inflated prices for their players, which is something I can accept, I'm just not sure why we'd then be thrown into the rumour mill???
Thus, you either buy at our inflated price or we keep. Anything else and everyone will know you will fold come deadline day.

Benfica are playing us at our own game.

If true, you may as well close this thread as we are not going to come near their asking price (and nobody else will either).

They do in that they don't want him to go and £85m is his release clause. The same as we were with Olise.

If they do decide they want to cash in early then there may be a deal to be done. If not, we've gotta stump up that money or move on.

Back