• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

The greatest Palace own goal?

It’s Jeff Hopkins for me as well.

Although Danny Baker once described Richard Shaw and Nigel Martyn as being caught in two minds, Abbott and Costello’s!! as Dicky poked the ball passed Nige down at Southampton once😀

Bobby Bell got a cracker, might have been against Ipswich, from about the half way line. Memory says Jacko let it go between his legs.

It’s Jeff Hopkins for me as well.

Although Danny Baker once described Richard Shaw and Nigel Martyn as being caught in two minds, Abbott and Costello’s!! as Dicky poked the ball passed Nige down at Southampton once😀
Unfortunately, I was present for that one.
I think that was the season where we played them the same week away in the cup and lost on a cold Tuesday night. I was there for that one too. Wish I hadn't bothered.

David Hopkin for me against Norwich last game of the season think 96 , Norwich had a corner and Hopkin rouse like a salmon and powered a Bullitt header in Nigels top left corner , I was just to the side of the goal , it was that good Nigel was laughing

Richard Shaw's early pass back own goal at Southampton was special.
If memory serves me right, he did something similar the next season at Stamford bridge.
I certainly remember the Chelsea fans singing his name after it.

I think that was the season where we played them the same week away in the cup and lost on a cold Tuesday night. I was there for that one too. Wish I hadn't bothered.
If you recall we won the league game 3 -2 despite the own goal.
I went to both games too. We seemed to play a lot of night games at the dell

You’re right, I seem to remember going down there a few times mid week, I remember going down there for one particular night game and we had no hope, wright and bright were both out and we had Collymore and Moralee up front!!

Yes, we won the league game and the away end was full.
For the cup game when we lost, there were about 12 of us there. Well, maybe a couple of hundreds.

Yes, we won the league game and the away end was full.
For the cup game when we lost, there were about 12 of us there. Well, maybe a couple of hundreds.
My brother and myself were certainly there. I have been to games up north such as hull in the 80s when there did seem about 12. Lol

It was at the dell and I was behind the goal when it went in. The bottom couple of standing steps were level with the pitch so a footballers eye on the game including when shaw popped it in.

Back