• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

The city break thread

Penge Eagle

Administrator
Staff member
Country
England
A thread dedicated to discussing and sharing opinions on different cities. This allows anyone planning to book a place or who has already booked to receive feedback from other members.

I recently spent a couple of days in Monaco and would recommend it (I treated myself to the Fairmont Hotel opposite the hairpin curve). I'm looking for ideas for a cheap getaway on the Continent at the end of the summer...

Last edited:
A thread dedicated to discussing and sharing opinions on different cities. This allows anyone planning to book a place or who has already booked to receive feedback from other members.

I recently spent a couple of days in Monaco and would recommend it (I treated myself to the Fairmont Hotel opposite the hairpin curve). I'm looking for ideas for a cheap getaway on the Continent at the end of the summer...

For most countries, i avoid the centre of the Capital City. Its always a tourist laden hellhole of expensive food & drink and with as much local soul as an american Tech giant.

second cities, or other smaller towns are far preferable. A case in point was a recent visit to Haarlem , Netherlands. Its what Amsterdam would be like without the hooeers, drug dealers, and drunken fat americans. It did have these vices, but in a more modest quantity and i dare say, a more upmarket quality.

Even villages will often have a nicer atmosphere and more twee architecture & cobbled streets. Plus they are inhabited by baffled locals who cannot understand why you visited them and are happy to chat. Unlike getting stabbed in Central ( insert name of Capital city here ). Make sure to find villages more than an hour commute from any big cities.

Bruges is excellent.

PontaVedra in Galicia is excellent, with a wonderful climate and a beautiful hinterlands.

Benidorm is hell on wheels, as is Venice.

Locronan in Finistere is also memorable for cobbled streets and ambience.

Volterra in Tuscany is nice and over 3 thousand years old. They are currently hosting a Banksy exhibition. Rather ironic when you consider the Romans fought hard to expel the Vandals and now they are honouring a Lefty 'government approved rebel' one.

Linguists are recommended to visit Rural Romania to get Eastern Europes answer to Modern Latin - ditto with hilltop villages in Sardinia.

Last edited:
In the UK, Oxford, Cambridge Edinburgh and Bath are good weekend breaks with a nice mixture of culture and countryside.

Abroad
Rome, Florence and Venice
Bukhara, Khiva and Samarkand
Moscow and St Petersburg
Granada, Cordoba and Sevile
Marakesh, Fez
Zagreb, Split
Amman

To name but a few

One thing to watch out for here is hotels using "dynamic pricing". The wife and I spent a couple of days in Inverness last week and having checked the booking she found the room price had gone from £130 to £270 for one night. She cancelled it and booked another hotel but it's worth keeping an eye on.

May I advetrtise my home-town? September usually a great time for tourists. Lesser crowds of tourists in the centre, where most sights are reachable on foot. Theatre performances back on schedule and - most important - best time to visit the wine-inns, all restaurants and shops back from holidays. Climate usually best for walks in the city or the neigboughring Vienna woods. Wizz offer cheap flights from Gatwick if you book in advance. For football lovers: Watch a game of First Vienna FC - not for the limited skills on the pitch but for the romantic atmosphere. Located in one of Vienna's best districts you sit with a glass (ehrrr paper cup) of wine or beer in a natural arena which was once was one of the largest stadiums on mainland Europe as one of the 500 to 1000 visitors (sometimes I'm among them) will tell you.

another good one for budding Linguists.....visit Frisia to learn Frisian. The sister language to Old English. Wanna read Beowulf in the original ? Or find the Middle English of Chaucer to be a breeze ?

Shakespeare is for pus$ies

initially the clip below sounds very foreign. After a few pints it sounds like a drunken road trip to a council estate in Kent ( Old Folks home episode ).

Last edited:
May I advetrtise my home-town? September usually a great time for tourists. Lesser crowds of tourists in the centre, where most sights are reachable on foot. Theatre performances back on schedule and - most important - best time to visit the wine-inns, all restaurants and shops back from holidays. Climate usually best for walks in the city or the neigboughring Vienna woods. Wizz offer cheap flights from Gatwick if you book in advance. For football lovers: Watch a game of First Vienna FC - not for the limited skills on the pitch but for the romantic atmosphere. Located in one of Vienna's best districts you sit with a glass (ehrrr paper cup) of wine or beer in a natural arena which was once was one of the largest stadiums on mainland Europe as one of the 500 to 1000 visitors (sometimes I'm among them) will tell you.
my favourite town in Austria is Linz. Ooozing with the influence of Mozart and a pretty amazing Cathedral.

Back