• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Tesco-obesity and health campaign

Wisbech Eagle

Country
England
I heard a report on Radio 4 this morning which both impressed and intrigued me. It doesn’t yet seem to be getting much press coverage and the only report I can find is in the Mail, so credit is due for that, even if there seems an over emphasis on “freedom” issues rather than health.

Ken Murphy, CEO of Tesco, is addressing a subject I have been passionate about since my days in the food ingredient industry. We consume far too much salt. Too much fat as well, but salt is the silent and largely unrecognised, killer. We have become conditioned to large quantities in our diets. It being a cheap ingredient that can disguise poor quality. It though has a very significant impact on health, particularly on the heart. We only need a tiny fraction of the amount consumed. I learned this 40 years ago and removed salt completely, using herbs and spices to flavour instead, in anything I cook from fresh ingredients.

What Murphy is saying is that with a joined up approach, involving the food industry and government, that the data the industry has on food purchases via loyalty cards could be used to advise people the level they are consuming, the possible consequences and the alternatives. Combining this with NHS data, and an education campaign, could produce very significant changes to our diets and to our health, reducing the demands on the NHS as a consequence.

I am convinced that the epidemic of heart disease we see can largely be attributed to the over consumption of salt.

I am as convinced that the huge rise in obesity we see is due as much to general over consumption, particularly of fats, as it is to our sedentary life styles.

Encouraging people to change by providing individual targeted information gathered through data that already exists seems a very clever, and extremely worthwhile, use of modern technology.

If I was still in the industry I would be backing this wholeheartedly.

Opinions?

I really can't see how this would work if it's being done through Clubcard purchases. It would be fine for, say, someone popping in to buy their lunch for themselves for that day, but if someone did a major - one month for a family of 4, say - shop how would they calculate how many people would be eating all that food over which period, which they would need to know to estimate how much 'unsuitable' stuff was being consumed per capital?

I really can't see how this would work if it's being done through Clubcard purchases. It would be fine for, say, someone popping in to buy their lunch for themselves for that day, but if someone did a major - one month for a family of 4, say - shop how would they calculate how many people would be eating all that food over which period, which they would need to know to estimate how much 'unsuitable' stuff was being consumed per capital?
It’s a good point!

From what he said the intention is to use AI to analyse the data so I guess, and it’s no more than a guess, that there could be a way of attributing the purchases to probable consumption by family members and producing estimates.

Some would be obvious. Booze should only be consumed by adults etc. If the same card was used for small purchases at a city centre “Extra” store at lunchtime patterns could be deduced from that.

It could never be perfect but making people aware, even at family level, how much in excess of their needs they are consuming and the harm it could be doing seems very useful.

Data analytics can dig very deep into your very fine details.My son got a first in maths and does this for a living. Big brother had nothing on this.

Back