• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Mateta next ?

Contract talks broken down??
I know he had a great seven weeks at the end of last season but outside of that he hasn't got much pulling power!

You look at the other options available and after Eze, Mateta is probably our most important player right now. I don't like the idea of keeping players who don't want to be at the club but at some point you have to draw a line in the sand and say "that's it, no more of the first team gets sold." I also think Mateta's agent will know how strong their hand is given his form and will be pushing for a six-figure weekly salary. The Villa rumours don't really ring true given they have Watkins and Duran said he's staying.

The fact Mateta was keen to play some part against Brentford suggests there'll be no issue with him pulling on his boots either way. I have to say, I have grown to love the guy and would be gutted if he were sold. Give him what he wants and put this to bed.

You're two-year theory has logic but in this case you're wrong. We got him relatively cheap and the cost to replace him unless we were amazingly fortunate would probably mean us breaking our transfer record (see Bournemouth and Brentford as recent examples of how much it costs to replace your top striker) and paying big wages; big wages which we could have just offered to a player who is a proven goal scorer. If this new and expensive striker flops then we lose money on a white elephant and could end up with another Benteke or Eduoard earning big money with no return. If Mateta continues his form for the next year then I very much doubt his value drops considerably as every club is desperate for a proven goalscorer. Even if he continued his form for two years and left for free we'll have got our money's worth.

You're two-year theory has logic but in this case you're wrong. We got him relatively cheap and the cost to replace him unless we were amazingly fortunate would probably mean us breaking our transfer record (see Bournemouth and Brentford as recent examples of how much it costs to replace your top striker) and paying big wages; big wages which we could have just offered to a player who is a proven goal scorer. If this new and expensive striker flops then we lose money on a white elephant and could end up with another Benteke or Eduoard earning big money with no return. If Mateta continues his form for the next year then I very much doubt his value drops considerably as every club is desperate for a proven goalscorer. Even if he continued his form for two years and left for free we'll have got our money's worth.
I agree that Mateta is slightly different, he didn't cost much 11m Euros, and a good season would take his value higher than it is now, even with one year left on his contract, Goal scorers are like gold dust, so, personally i wouldn't sell now, accept for silly money, 100m+ which isn't going to happen

If Villa are prepared to pay £100m we'll probably let him go. What I'm really saying is that we don't have to sell him but if Villa or another club make a silly offer...

I thought Villa are looking for a backup to Watkins so I can't see them paying over the odds?

Back