• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Mateta, Eze, Nketiah and Kamada

I just cannot see the four players starting together in any formation that i can see working, unless Kamada plays alongside Wharton, but then i cant see Doucoure being happy with not starting regularly.
Agreed. But how long will Mateta and Eze be here? I can see Mateta going in January if Nketiah shows he can be our striker and the right offer comes in. As for your child, one more year?

In the meantime, Glasner may well perm any 3 from 4 depending on the oppo.

Do they have to though? We've long needed adequate replacements and competition for places and now we're getting them. The pressing style will be testing for players and we're getting to the stage where they can be subbed without losing any quality. Or is that just wishful thinking?

Do they have to though? We've long needed adequate replacements and competition for places and now we're getting them. The pressing style will be testing for players and we're getting to the stage where they can be subbed without losing any quality. Or is that just wishful thinking?
Exactly, it’s not all about the starting line up these days, as we’ve seen for a few years now, once you get passed our best eleven we’ve struggled, our bench has always looked weak and once the substitutions start it seriously weakens our team. You need a squad to compete and then hopefully move forward in the premier league

Reactions: DJB
I just cannot see the four players starting together in any formation that i can see working, unless Kamada plays alongside Wharton, but then i cant see Doucoure being happy with not starting regularly.
If we play 4-2-4 with these four then Wharton and Doucoure two then a back four…… no. Park that.

I have read that Kamade is too light for the Premiership, So is Phil Foden but he seems to do reasonably well.

I don't think they have to start together. Strength in depth, something we've not had for a while and Glasners high intensity of football will require more rotation/subs than the Hodgeball style played previously.

I don't think they have to start together. Strength in depth, something we've not had for a while and Glasners high intensity of football will require more rotation/subs than the Hodgeball style played previously.
Yup, that's pretty much my take too. I reckon Nketish will work well in our setup. On recent form Kamada looks a tad underwhelming, but he will grow in confidence once the window closes and Ollie can get his team to settle into the shape he's looking for.

You can add Sarr into that as well but it's about rotation, isn't it?

Most of them can play more than one position across that front three so we'll probably mix it up, plus there will inevitably be injuries at some stage.

This is what we need. We can't be afraid to have squad options because our biggest problem in recent seasons has been a first team player getting injured and their replacement being a massive drop in quality. It's a very good problem to have.

And there is Sarr to consider too who has looked decent. Maybe Franca will come into the equation one day. As others have said, it is very much about being able to rotate players either between games or during games. And let’s not forget Edouard … on second thoughts!

Agree, I dont they can. Eddie isnt going to be happy signing as a back up to JPM, so suspect he'll start on the right and Kamada back on the bench.

On a side note, Doucoure has felt a bit off the pace for me. I'd be starting Lerma or Hughes ATM.

Not to say he can't play there, but it is worth pointing out that Nketiah has only played one PL game on the right wing and that was over four years ago in a 1-0 defeat. I doubt he is being signed to play anything other than as a centre forward, but who knows? He'll get significantly more time on the pitch for us even if he does start as a backup to Mateta, but given the fee, the expectation must be that he's being signed to start so we'll see what happens.

Not to say he can't play there, but it is worth pointing out that Nketiah has only played one PL game on the right wing and that was over four years ago in a 1-0 defeat. I doubt he is being signed to play anything other than as a centre forward, but who knows? He'll get significantly more time on the pitch for us even if he does start as a backup to Mateta, but given the fee, the expectation must be that he's being signed to start so we'll see what happens.

Mateta and Nketiah are polar opposites in terms of their prowess.
In contrast with Nketiah,Mateta is a towering physical presence and a focal point of the attack.

Remember last season when coth eze and olise were injured? We were crying out for squad depth. We will hopefully see more squad rotation this season which in turn could lead to less injuries and where subs can come on and change a game earlier if needed.

Benteke was a regular
If we had to buy an Arsenal squad player, though, ESR would have made more sense
I believe we were interested but we don't tend to involve ourselves in contests with other interested clubs especially when the fee reaches a point at which we feel uncomfortable. Fulham clearly wanted ESR and they paid the (high) price. We were never going to outbid them.

Nketiah and Mateta shouldn’t play together a bit like how Edourde shouldn’t have played on Sunday with Mateta.

Nketiah will be a squad player pushing Mateta every game until he potentially proves he’s better.

Kamada and Eze can still play together as we have enough defensive midfielders to support them.

Back