• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Herbie Flowers

RIP. If you've got a record collection, chances are he's in it. And he wrote Clive Dunn's classic 'Grandad', too.

There's a Sky programme about the making of Lou Reed's Transformer where he talks about overdubbing the bass line on Walk on the Wild Side
"I played it on the upright bass then suggested I could overdub it on bass guitar. It's an old session musician's trick to get double money for the same track. So I got an extra £12". For one of the most recognised bass lines ever.
He also says he was told not to make it sound like the Velvet Underground - "Which was lucky 'cos I'd never heard of the Velvet Underground".

RIP.

He lived just around the corner from me. He was a very humorous, and much loved man in our village, and there was great sadness amongst everyone who knew him on hearing the news of his passing.

Back