• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

four-day working week

DANGERCLOSE

Country
England

Workers will be allowed to DEMAND a four-day working week from their employers under new Labour plans​

I prefer my companies flexible working. Core hours at 10-3.30 or 10-2.30 on a friday. Once you work up your 38 hour a week around these you are fine. But generally if you do the work no one cares.

I also dont mind replying to urgent emails "out of hours" as I get great flexibility in return.

Another rubbish idea from Labour. If it suits employers they will already offer this, if it doesn't then they will be forced to amend their business model.

I noticed recently that ASDA is reducing their night shift staff and putting them on days. When I worked in M&S the night shift was a cushy number and they were not very productive (Lazy bar stewards) I suspect ASDA has the same problem.

So the supermarkets are re-allocating their staff based on their customer and business requirements, not on whether Sally would only like to work Mon-Thurs please.

If any legislation is made, you can guarantee that employees won't be able to demand anything. It will just be wishy, washy claptrap like Ireland's working from home "legislation".
Basically you can request it, but the employer can simply refuse. More pointless spin from Labour - pretending to care about workers.

If any legislation is made, you can guarantee that employees won't be able to demand anything. It will just be wishy, washy claptrap like Ireland's working from home "legislation".
Basically you can request it, but the employer can simply refuse. More pointless spin from Labour - pretending to care about workers.
Agreed

It's alright working in a nice air conditioned office but how would , a hairy arse builder get on if he/she asked to work a 4 day week with flexible hours ?

Thinking about it a bit more it sounds like it could backfire on the economy and skills market in the longer term. More and more people will be tempted into careers working 4 days per week and work that can be outsourced to cheaper countries.

In the case of public sector workers, which this will apply to a lot, and who in my experience are very unproductive, I’m very sceptical that they’ll maintain the same levels of productivity.

More pointless spin from Labour - pretending to care about workers.

Labour : they really care about the Long-term unemployed that provide them with a block-vote.

'Labour' have not represented Working class 'workers' since Neil Kinnock in the mid 1980's. 'White-Van man' is openly scoffed for putting an England flag on his van during the World Cup.

Visit the old dead Mining/coal/Steel/Textile towns to really get to understand where Labour are at ?

Spot on - a muddled, incoherent, unthought-through bit of time-wasting nonsense. Talking about it seems to keep Jeacqui Smith happy though.

I have been in favour of people working less and from home for a long time. It is how the future should look.
The problem is that it seems to run counter to governments drive for more economic growth.

In jobs where people work 3 or 4 days a week, they usually work very long shifts. That means they actually don't actually spend any more time at home and often spend their days off getting over 12 or more hours at work the day before.

Once Britain rejoins the EU then presumably workers throughout the UK will have the same rights as French workers.
You ez the right:

To eat cheese
To ave a 3 hour lunch
To not shave and smell of garlic and smoke Gauloises whilst looking really cool.
To ave a beautiful wife whilst also aving a girlfriend or 2 on the side
To go on strike at the drop of a beret.

okay that's enough stereotypes. 😀

I have been in favour of people working less and from home for a long time. It is how the future should look.
The problem is that it seems to run counter to governments drive for more economic growth.

In jobs where people work 3 or 4 days a week, they usually work very long shifts. That means they actually don't actually spend any more time at home and often spend their days off getting over 12 or more hours at work the day before.
True. While I work from home and have too much time on my hands my partner does 4 days 12 hours shifts in a lab and 4 days off but would sleep a whole day on the 5th day.

From a environmental / work life balance point of view work from home is best. But economically maybe not so much? Now that I don't go into the office I don't spend my money on train fare, coffee, lunch or petrol. Which would have an effect on local business where the office is located. My office business campus is like a ghost town these days.

You ez the right:

To eat cheese
To ave a 3 hour lunch
To not shave and smell of garlic and smoke Gauloises whilst looking really cool.
To ave a beautiful wife whilst also aving a girlfriend or 2 on the side
To go on strike at the drop of a beret.

okay that's enough stereotypes. 😀
Funny hearing recently that the French don’t like to jump into talking business matters at business lunch meetings. Often not talking business at all. They prefer to discuss the change in ambience at the restaurant venue or the quality of the bread and butter.

There’s very little to learn from the French. Their employment rules and laws for example are a joke. The rule book is about a foot wide. Have more than 49 employees and you’re opening yourselves up to numerous rules and changes to your business so best not to bother recruiting and expanding.

I won’t be surprised if Starmer adopts some of Hollande’s policies.

Back