• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Exiled Eagles!

Country
England
I’d be interested to learn of UK geographical extent kof Palace fans. Any out there in NY..(Boroughbridge area) In my sleepy little village (Great Ouseburn) here in ‘the grim north’*, with a population of only 600, there are 5 Croydonians or ‘thereaboutians’. My now mate, a local farmer, says it’s an invasion, and asks what wrong with Croydon? I wouldn’t answer that on here but suffice to say I love the ‘not so grim north’ and have become more proud of my motherland since exchanging grass for concrete 14 years ago. I still get to a few home games and indeed aways. I’ve not lost one yet..shame" Burnley went down as I loved the train ride ‘over the tops’…and a great little ground too.

COYP.

I’d be interested to learn of UK geographical extent kof Palace fans. Any out there in NY..(Boroughbridge area) In my sleepy little village (Great Ouseburn) here in ‘the grim north’*, with a population of only 600, there are 5 Croydonians or ‘thereaboutians’. My now mate, a local farmer, says it’s an invasion, and asks what wrong with Croydon? I wouldn’t answer that on here but suffice to say I love the ‘not so grim north’ and have become more proud of my motherland since exchanging grass for concrete 14 years ago. I still get to a few home games and indeed aways. I’ve not lost one yet..shame" Burnley went down as I loved the train ride ‘over the tops’…and a great little ground too.

COYP.
I have been “exiled” since 1971 but on the other side of the hill In Lancashire , happily I might also add.
As you say the trip to Burnley will be greatly missed. COYP

Bit further away in Cyprus since Jan 2013. Seen a few Palace supporters over here as well. Don't get to see them often but managed to get to FAcup semi final and final in 2016. One advantage I have is can watch all the games home and away live and it's legal overhere.
Started going to games in 1968 as a 11 year old then when I could afford had season ticket for 25 years mostly in WHL stand
FYI Jason Punchen playes for Paphos FC for a while then managed Famagusta FC

Been in Scotland for 7 years and it's great. People are friendly, beer is cheaper and property is still affordable. The weather could buck it's ideas up a bit but otherwise it's all good.
No Palace fans in the local but there is one each for Villa, West Ham and Burnley.

Cyprus and Scotland… couldn’t get more extreme! It still surprises me to find people from my old manor on my doorstep. We had an IT chap visit recently to fix a problem on my wife’s pc and I recognised a southern ‘twang’. He proudly admitted to being a devout Eagle from Beckenham. Lived here for 30 years and had to prevent his son from supporting northern teams. Love it.
Small World eh!

Cyprus and Scotland… couldn’t get more extreme! It still surprises me to find people from my old manor on my doorstep. We had an IT chap visit recently to fix a problem on my wife’s pc and I recognised a southern ‘twang’. He proudly admitted to being a devout Eagle from Beckenham. Lived here for 30 years and had to prevent his son from supporting northern teams. Love it.
Small World eh!
I met a bloke in Sydney who was not only Palace but we had gone to the same school, lived in the same road and used the same pub, albeit 10 years apart.

Left the UK in 2014. Initially Africa (Nigera), then the US, latterly in Ireland. Palace get a decent amount of exposure over in Ireland with Damien Delaney a bit of a national treasure and a prominent pundit, along with Kevin Doyle, Ray Houghton and occasionally Clinton O'Morrison.

Didn't move too far to find myself in Ipswich.... Suffolk is a funny old place with funny old people, but nice enough. Weirdly even in my local village boozer there's randomly 3 or 4 Palace fans which is welcome company when we're on the box.

I have recently moved from Romford (although originally from Amen corner Tooting) to the middle of Norfolk. Little town called Watton about 35 mins from Norwich. Cant put into words how much more relaxed I feel already....the people, scenery, air and the lack of crowds (especially the little teenage ganster wannbes is wonderful. The locals actually call the area (Dereham, Watton, Thetford) Essex 2.0. My next door neighbour is from Billericay and moved up here for exactly the same reason as me. London is Ruined. Ive so far not met anyone who's not completely welcoming and I watched the Palace game yesterday in my local with most of the other people in there seeming to want us to win. My advice is, if you can, get out of the sh*t hole that is our Capital, do it.

I've been in Ireland since 1983 , born in Mayday hospital in Croydon , schooled in St Marys in West Croydon . Used to walk from there on a wet wednesday night to watch Palace because i didnt have the 5p bus fare . Been in Tipperary most of the time. Was a bouncer in a pub in a place called Cahir and got chatting to a girl who ends up being from Purley Way , ended up marrying her , 20 years and 4 daughterss later and still with her , Went a long way to meet a bird from Purley Way .

Blimey there’s some far flung Eagles about, n who flew the Croydon nest! My ‘Erie’ was Duppas Avenue (off Hillside Rd). Was there long before both the flyover and the Nestle building, which gives you a timeline! Never thought I’d end up this far north of Watford, ‘under licence’, here in N.Yorkshire. One of my villagers lived 1/4 mile away nr Reeves Corner, n my former drinking pal, from Purley, owned a local restaurant, but now moved to Oxford, leant on the same crowd barriers of the Whitehorse, as I did, albeit 10 years apart, in my case back in the early 60s!
In Bromley this week seeing family n drove past BFC’s ground in Haynes Lane. Nice to see them in the league n beating one of my local teams - Harrogate, last week.

Despite the Ref on Sunday, still v upbeat for this season!

🦅s

Blimey there’s some far flung Eagles about, n who flew the Croydon nest! My ‘Erie’ was Duppas Avenue (off Hillside Rd). Was there long before both the flyover and the Nestle building, which gives you a timeline! Never thought I’d end up this far north of Watford, ‘under licence’, here in N.Yorkshire. One of my villagers lived 1/4 mile away nr Reeves Corner, n my former drinking pal, from Purley, owned a local restaurant, but now moved to Oxford, leant on the same crowd barriers of the Whitehorse, as I did, albeit 10 years apart, in my case back in the early 60s!
In Bromley this week seeing family n drove past BFC’s ground in Haynes Lane. Nice to see them in the league n beating one of my local teams - Harrogate, last week.

Despite the Ref on Sunday, still v upbeat for this season!

🦅s
im from Hillside Road, also long before the flyover and Nestles and the threepenny bit building......now live 20 miles from Le Mans in France been here for last 21 years, still have occasional trip to Croydon, not an enjoyable experience!!

im from Hillside Road, also long before the flyover and Nestles and the threepenny bit building......now live 20 miles from Le Mans in France been here for last 21 years, still have occasional trip to Croydon, not an enjoyable experience!!
Crikey, where in Hillside.. the flats? Yes ‘concrete Croydon’ not what it was, but I guess nowhere stays the same. I once worked in Surrey House on the corner of Surrey St above the market. It was 5 floors and then the tallest building! Ah the good old ‘thrupney bit’.. now that was a coin! 😂

Back