• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Does Anyone Else Hate Transfer Windows?

Country
England
Speculation about the comings and goings all driven by spurious clickbait.

Players who we've never heard of, with names we can't pronounce are linked as potential additions to the squad.

Football has become a commercial business and our stars are up for sale to fund newcomers.

After such a rip-roaring end to last season this window is the worst I have known. As has been written on other threads, we have to put our faith in Mr Parish, Ollie, Dougie and the rest of the team to work their magic.

But, I still have an inherent dislike of transfer windows.

The dreams of 'who we may sign' are soon often gate-crashed by the reality of not signing the targets in your personal dreams, losing key players, endless nonsense in the media and wishing for it all to be over.

What a palaver! 🤣 😵😡

Players who we've never heard of, with names we can't pronounce are linked as potential additions to the squad.

Football has become a commercial business and our stars are up for sale to fund newcomers.

After such a rip-roaring end to last season this window is the worst I have known. As has been written on other threads, we have to put our faith in Mr Parish, Ollie, Dougie and the rest of the team to work their magic.

To counter this, for the sake of a debate. I'd say its the best window we've ever had.

Its the first time in my memory we've have a squad full of attractive players. Which if nothing else, is a marker of how far we have come in the last 24 months or so.

Whats even better is that we have some strength in depth that, will minimise the impact of any losses.

To counter this, for the sake of a debate. I'd say its the best window we've ever had.

Its the first time in my memory we've have a squad full of attractive players. Which if nothing else, is a marker of how far we have come in the last 24 months or so.

Whats even better is that we have some strength in depth that, will minimise the impact of any losses.
I'll add my voice to yours regarding the difference between our situation now and what it was back in the twenty-teens - we are much stronger. I would add that the end of season transfer window makes a sometimes boring summer more interesting.

Think it should close before the season starts, perhaps even 2-3 weeks before the season starts, so players can be bedded in. We often leave it late, and don’t get the required targets as a result. Last summer window was dreadful and I thought this one was promising.
Now it seems every player has their price even late in a transfer window, and I don’t share the optimism that adequate replacements will be brought in based on past history.

Think it should close before the season starts, perhaps even 2-3 weeks before the season starts, so players can be bedded in. We often leave it late, and don’t get the required targets as a result. Last summer window was dreadful and I thought this one was promising.
Now it seems every player has their price even late in a transfer window, and I don’t share the optimism that adequate replacements will be brought in based on past history.
This will only work if other European leagues adopt the same timescales. We did try closing it before the season started a couple of years or so ago BUT the European leagues still had their windows open and were able to do business to the detriment of the PL.

The only possible upside I can see is that it stops the money clubs from buying whoever they want at any time that they like. I don't particularly like the system but am more fed up with the free agency rules. A three year contract should mean something not that it will need to be renegotiated after 18 months or less or the player can run it down nd leave for nothing.
Did any of the countless clickbait sites have anything about Andersen leaving?

Yes, it's a bit stressful seeing your club playing like Real Madrid for the last few weeks of last season, then the disappointment of England, then seeing the heart ripped out of our team just as we're full of optimism as the new season starts.

However, like everyone else I have to trust Dougie/Oliver/Steve to get new great players in who fit in well and not to overpay.

I too haven't heard of any of the rumoured "ins" (apart from Wilf and Sterling, obviously) but having watched some of the YouTube clips I'm excited and some of them are real prospects. If we get two or three of those targets in the coming week then it'll be exciting! Of course, if we don't.....

Never bothered me, nothing will ever hurt me more than Kenny Sansom and Ian Wright leaving, so it’s a case of whatever will be will be now, there’s nothing I can do to change things
I felt the same. Wright leaving was the end of that team that did so well in 91.

Funny thing about Sansom... he's my father in law. I've spent 18 years calling him the 'Turn Coat' for what he did.

I felt the same. Wright leaving was the end of that team that did so well in 91.

Funny thing about Sansom... he's my father in law. I've spent 18 years calling him the 'Turn Coat' for what he did.
Really? That’s cool mate, I’d be dining out on that for ever 🤣

Hope he’s in good health and looking after himself these days 😍

Really? That’s cool mate, I’d be dining out on that for ever 🤣

Hope he’s in good health and looking after himself these days 😍

He’s doing ok, not the best of health, the years of hard living after football have caught up with him.

Believe me when I met my Mrs, when she said her old man played football… never expected it was Kenny. Imagine that, walking into someone’s kitchen and there in front of you is one of your hero’s. Shocked was an understatement.

I remember him watching an England game at mine and he was chatting away, talking about how Glenn did this and Bryan did that, then you realise he’s talking about Hoddle and Robson. Mind blowing at the time.

I took him to my works old Sunday morning football teams training once, the manager nearly had a heart attack lol.

He’s doing ok, not the best of health, the years of hard living after football have caught up with him.

Believe me when I met my Mrs, when she said her old man played football… never expected it was Kenny. Imagine that, walking into someone’s kitchen and there in front of you is one of your hero’s. Shocked was an understatement.

I remember him watching an England game at mine and he was chatting away, talking about how Glenn did this and Bryan did that, then you realise he’s talking about Hoddle and Robson. Mind blowing at the time.

I took him to my works old Sunday morning football teams training once, the manager nearly had a heart attack lol.
He was a brilliant player. Hope he knows how much affection we have for him.

He was a brilliant player. Hope he knows how much affection we have for him.

I honestly think he knows. I’ve been with him on a couple of occasions when he’s been a guest at Selhurst and he gets such an amazing reception.

And yeah Mrs or not… best left back we and England ever had.

Back