• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Do you tip your barber?

Penge Eagle

Administrator
Staff member
Country
England
I never have as as I can't see the benefit (though I always tip in restaurants). Am I being tight or just logical?

I do - I can't be bothered to find a new barbers for every haircut and I don't want my head to look like a tufty coconut because he's got the hump.

i spend five minutes in the garden with this. Saved myself a ton of money. And less of other peoples germs to be sharing. Mostly i dont even bother with a mirror. Number One on the back and sides. One or two centimeters on whatever few follicles function on top. And if i was a german woman i would leave the armpits hairy to scare the kids at the swimming pools....schwimmbaden.

tips ? i am reluctant to tip. Especially when there is a social custom putting a pressure on me to do so. But i do like the Elvis Presley school of dropping generous gifts unexpectedly onto people you like.

All services in the US come with the “obligatory” 20% tip. Got used to it now so factors into the final price!

It’s money people need to live on so unless there is something awful with the service I always pay!

All services in the US come with the “obligatory” 20% tip. Got used to it now so factors into the final price!

It’s money people need to live on so unless there is something awful with the service I always pay!

the French never tip waiters in that country. It explains how the waiters are often surly.

If an employer doesnt pay their staff enough, that is their problem. Should have worked harder at school.

I've not been to a barber since COVID, when I realised I could trim off the straggly bits I could see and my wife tidies up the back. At my age I no longer need a neat haircut. Anyway there's not much hair left to cut now.

But, in answer to the OP, I never used to tip. A barber charges a fee to fulfil a service and I paid it. End of.

I found with covid that I could do a passable job myself.

I've become used to it, using shaver trimmer and good quality scissors.

The back is a problem but it comes with practice.

I don't think anyone would really tell the difference.

I did used to tip, keep the change type of thing, but I thought is the whole thing really necessary, it's time-consuming and an expense.

😎

I found with covid that I could do a passable job myself.

I've become used to it, using shaver trimmer and good quality scissors.

The back is a problem but it comes with practice.

I don't think anyone would really tell the difference.

I did used to tip, keep the change type of thing, but I thought is the whole thing really necessary, it's time-consuming and an expense.

😎
I would have thought that you would use a sickle!

I do, but my girl only charges me a tenner and as I only have my hair cut every two or three months I bung her a fiver as well. A snip considering my daughter can pay over £100 when she goes to the hairdressers

I do, but my girl only charges me a tenner and as I only have my hair cut every two or three months I bung her a fiver as well. A snip considering my daughter can pay over £100 when she goes to the hairdressers
"A snip" - I like what you did there 😀

To extend the question why is it necessary to tip waiters? Carrying a plate isn't that arduous and why is the size of the tip dependent on the cost of the meal rather than how much work is involved ?

not only would i not tip Barbers & waitresses.......when their back is turned, i would nick their scissors & biro.

f...ck them. i think like a South Londoner. Life is hard, get used to it and buy a crash-helmet. If i wanna p1ss in your soup, beware of the Paul Daniels misdirection while i decant something i stored from earlier today.

Tipping is only really for the service industry.

so tell us. Is it customary to tip hooeers ? i wouldn't know on account of being disgusted at even the prospect of going there. I'd rather have a kebab from a Croydon eatery that just got shut down by the Environmental Health brigade. And also rather pay somebody who hates me to laugh at my unfunny jokes.

Tips and tipping. Have you ever noticed a commonality among the type of people that refuse to accept a tip ? They are often the best type of people. A recent tour-guide was one such encounter recently. A whole group shoving cash at him and he just didnt want to know about it.

Last edited:
I tip at the barbers and I know I get a better service than some other people. When sitting waiting sometimes customers don't get offered services like having their necks shaved, ear hair trimmed or singed, eyebrows trimmed etc. Whilst having a decent conversation. They just get a haircut, bit of spray and out the door!
So it pays to tip just like in your favourite restaurant where you should/will be looked after and receive attentive care and attention to detail!

Back