• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

On this day 50 years ago

I went to my first Palace game aged 11. Beat the mighty Swindon 6-2 in division three and I was hooked, having clearly seen the future of football
Another good choice for a first game.
Here's the line up that day.

I was in the Arthur that day, a day we set a record by scoring 5 goals in 11 minutes. We'd been playing mostly rubbish having been relegated the previous TWO seasons. An obvious half time standing ovation was followed by a second half in which we reverted to type and duly lost the half 1-2.

In my memory Don Rogers ripped his old club up that day so it was a surprise to see he was a late sub for Roy Barry.
I've mentioned before that Roy Barry lives quite near me - he's 82 in a couple of weeks and recently retired from his job delivering fish for a local shop. He was a tough player and is still hale and hearty.

In my memory Don Rogers ripped his old club up that day so it was a surprise to see he was a late sub for Roy Barry.
I've mentioned before that Roy Barry lives quite near me - he's 82 in a couple of weeks and recently retired from his job delivering fish for a local shop. He was a tough player and is still hale and hearty.
Barry is usually an Irish heritage surname.

My recollection of that game was a young Peter Taylor taking apart Swindon's veteran full back, John Trollope.
He was a fantastic player - so quick and one of the best sliding tackles ever. He could come from anywhere and be back on his feet and away in a flash.

I was only 9 or 10 years old watching Roy Barry but I could tell he was a class centre back - what were those players doing in the 3rd division: Barry, Derek Jeffries, Taylor, Whittle and Rogers. We had that terrible start in 73/74 , rallied and then stuttered on the run-in, we were favourites for promotion and should never have gone down. Loved Big Mal but he needed to be a bit more pragmatic and a bit less purist. So all five goals were scored in 11 minutes but not from the kick off! Aha! Only a few weeks later Rogers went to QPR and Venables came our way in return.

I was only 9 or 10 years old watching Roy Barry but I could tell he was a class centre back - what were those players doing in the 3rd division: Barry, Derek Jeffries, Taylor, Whittle and Rogers. We had that terrible start in 73/74 , rallied and then stuttered on the run-in, we were favourites for promotion and should never have gone down. Loved Big Mal but he needed to be a bit more pragmatic and a bit less purist. So all five goals were scored in 11 minutes but not from the kick off! Aha! Only a few weeks later Rogers went to QPR and Venables came our way in return.
I've always thought that if there could have been a match where both teams were coached by Big Mal it would've been a brilliant game. Unfortunately the opposition never seemed to have read the script.

Back