• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Doucoure and the long lost art of tackling

Country
England
They've clamped down on dangerous tackling but Cheikh's ability is keeping the art alive, I thought some of his interceptions were quite breathtaking v Chelsea, lunging in several times with perfect timing to get the ball cleanly when their man was in good possession and about to get clear. Him and Wharton as a pairing could be almost unplayable, with Wharton's speed of thought and his ability to pass accurately and and progressively with his first touch we'll be able to turn defence into attack with a speed you rarely see on a regular basis - when Doucore wins it and gives it straight to Wharton. If our forward players can be alive to these quick turn overs we'll be lethal on the counter or when pressing - I have a feeling this is where Kamada's intelligence might come to the fore.

They've clamped down on dangerous tackling but Cheikh's ability is keeping the art alive, I thought some of his interceptions were quite breathtaking v Chelsea, lunging in several times with perfect timing to get the ball cleanly when their man was in good possession and about to get clear. Him and Wharton as a pairing could be almost unplayable, with Wharton's speed of thought and his ability to pass accurately and and progressively with his first touch we'll be able to turn defence into attack with a speed you rarely see on a regular basis - when Doucore wins it and gives it straight to Wharton. If our forward players can be alive to these quick turn overs we'll be lethal on the counter or when pressing - I have a feeling this is where Kamada's intelligence might come to the fore.

I'm a huge, huge fan of his.

The 'Claude Makelele role', made popular by... Claude Makelele, has probably only been repeated successfully by N'Golo Kante. Doucoure looks to be of similar capability but he also plays the ball a bit longer sometimes too and seems keen to have a pop where he can. Let's hope to see the best of him.

Not sure what his contract status is but definitely worth tying down for a few years. The Eze’s and Guehis will come and go but he’s a player we can build round especially if we can keep Wharton for a couple of seasons.

We looked so much better as a unit with him on the pitch and it’s great to have him back, like a new signing and all that, we definitely missed him last season, a real grafter and an unsung hero. Also ex hibs point about his tackling is spot on, much as everyone seems to love huuuughes he is reckless sometimes as proved at Chelsea

We looked so much better as a unit with him on the pitch and it’s great to have him back, like a new signing and all that, we definitely missed him last season, a real grafter and an unsung hero. Also ex hibs point about his tackling is spot on, much as everyone seems to love huuuughes he is reckless sometimes as proved at Chelsea
Hughes is reckless most of the time IMO. His tackle timing is woeful.

100%

I know selling players is a sensitive topic a the min, but I think we aren't far off a 150/200m centre midfield partnership there.

Genuinely think that by the end of the season (when CD is fully fit and press have started to cotton on) we'll be lauded as having one of, if not the best CM partnership in the league.

100%

I know selling players is a sensitive topic a the min, but I think we aren't far off a 150/200m centre midfield partnership there.

Genuinely think that by the end of the season (when CD is fully fit and press have started to cotton on) we'll be lauded as having one of, if not the best CM partnership in the league.

Might be considered an outrageous prediction that.

Is one I believe has some evidence for it and I'm inclined to agree with though.

Might be considered an outrageous prediction that.

Is one I believe has some evidence for it and I'm inclined to agree with though.

🙂

I know Parish said MG was a generational talent (he's very good, but not that good). Wharton on the other hand is. IMO he's good enough to slot into any team in the world.

🙂

I know Parish said MG was a generational talent (he's very good, but not that good). Wharton on the other hand is. IMO he's good enough to slot into any team in the world.

I'm of the opinion that there is going to be a MoTD segment or something similar, perhaps a big scalp for us in the season, where the footballing world finally goes 'Oh wow' and the views of many Palace fans will be echoed.

I'm of the opinion that there is going to be a MoTD segment or something similar, perhaps a big scalp for us in the season, where the footballing world finally goes 'Oh wow' and the views of many Palace fans will be echoed.
More likely questions about why he's not playing for a "bigger" club.

100%

Spot on, it may even benefit Wharton by playing a little farther forward, playing them slide rule passes, with Doucoure behind him.

Spot on, it may even benefit Wharton by playing a little farther forward, playing them slide rule passes, with Doucoure behind him.
Well he can... now.

The media are already asking whether Wharton goes to Liverpool or Man City next summer. Practically a done deal (as always!).

And it could be either. If rumours are to be believed, last summer Liverpool were sniffing around for Doucoure with a price tag of £85m mentioned.

Neither owe any allegiance to us. Both will have their income trebled overnight and get an eye watering lump sum share in the transfer cake. I suspect the only thing that will keep them both/either with us is if we qualified for the ECL. Don't scoff. Villa did it and lost their first and last games 5-1 and 5-0 respectively.

Back