• Existing user of old message board?

Your username will have transferred over to this new message board, but your password will need to be reset. Visit our convert your account page, to transfer your old password over.

Offside & VAR

DenTyler

Country
England
After yesterdays offside by an eyebrows depth, I have to say something needs to be done. Last season, how many good goals were ruined by this stupid offside rule.

Here’s an idea. If it is not a clear offside, then the goal stands. We all watch football for these moments. We all want more attacking football and more goals.

If it’s a close call… decision goes with the goal. If VAR is needed to draw lines… it’s a goal.

Simple really and over the course of a season any small decisions that go against a team would even themselves out. Surely this would be better than what we have now. Perfectly good goals struck off because a nose hair was slightly ahead of a defenders pimple.

Totally agree with you here. Adjudging a decision with such "accuracy" is crazy. Do they go to the same extreme lengths to check the precise moment the ball has left the person who passed it? When fractions of a millimetre are used, how can we guarantee the correct positioning of the hairlines, especially when you see how fuzzy some of the close-up footage appears to be.

Totally agree with you here. Adjudging a decision with such "accuracy" is crazy. Do they go to the same extreme lengths to check the precise moment the ball has left the person who passed it? When fractions of a millimetre are used, how can we guarantee the correct positioning of the hairlines, especially when you see how fuzzy some of the close-up footage appears to be.
Even with the high speed cameras that are in use the ball is often struck with such velocity that there is no freeze frame of that moment the ball left the foot, only either side of it.
Couple that with the fact the lines need to be drawn by a human hand and these millimetre decisions can't be taken seriously.

If VAR decide there is a possible offside it should be left to the on pitch screen to decide. No lines, no zoom in. If he can't see a clear offside then the goal stands.

Goal line tech aside, it just does my head in. All it does is create drama for the armchair audience at the expense of the stadium experience.
Last week the referee admitted getting the Hughes situation wrong, when Eze scored. I'm not overjoyed but I'd rather discuss that than a load of lines on a screen or a natural or unnatural position of a hand.
But sadly its here to stay.

Maybe the introduction of semi-automated offside technology will help but they should scrap all this nonsense about "goal scoring body parts" and judge it from foot position. Even then if they're going to look at fractions of an inch it should be from the back of the foot - why should a player with size 12 boots be offside while someone with size 8s isn't?

Back